The Law and Other Things Blog has run a book discussion on Julia Stephen’s Governing Islam: Law, Empire and Secularism in South Asia.
The essays, in chronological order, are below:
- Introduction (by Rohit De)
- Crisis of Secularism or Paradox of Governance? (by Zubair Abbasi)
- A Response from Professor Jeffrey Redding
- A Response from Jhuma Sen
- A Response from Dr. Geetanjali Srikantan
- “Rubber-band” Secularism: How Islamic and Hindu majoritarianism repurpose colonial legal governance (by Julia Stephens)